This will be my last entry of 2006, as I’m about to launch into my annual multi-day eggnog bender, complete with hallucinations of flying reindeer and peace on earth, so I thought I’d use this opportunity to pay homage to Time magazine’s Person of the Year – yes, You! – and list the ten Rough Type posts that, over the past twelve months, have been most frequently eyeballed by the wisdom-spewing multitudes. This is a Genuine Zeitgeist, by the way, in contrast to that Fake Zeitgeist that a certain API-deprecating search engine ginned up a couple of days ago.
(There is one caveat: This list doesn’t account for posts that were read on the home page, which, not surprisingly, was the most visited page of all.)
Without further ado, here’s your Rough Type top ten for 2006:
10. Welcome Web 3.0 (7,750 page views)
9. Your new IT budget: $10 (7,885 views)
8. The great unread (8,497 views)
7. The great Google float (9,109 views)
6. Seven rules for corporate blogging (9,654 views)
5. The five Google products (13,188 views)
4. Avatars consume as much electricity as Brazilians (13,411 views)
3. The death of Wikipedia (16,078 views)
2. Dweebs, horndogs and geezers (24,143 views)
1. The amorality of Web 2.0 (43,237 views)
Merry Christmas to all.