‘Tis the season for list frenzy. So here are my five predictions for the coming year.
1. A free online game, supported by advertising and product placement, becomes widely popular, threatening the traditional business model of the gaming industry.
2. The culture wars slam into the internet, as a group of influential evangelicals launch a boycott of Google, demanding that it “stop distributing pornography” through its search engine.
3. Disney announces it will begin selling classic animated movies as $5.99 downloads through Apple’s iTunes Store. The must-have gift for Christmas 2006 is Apple’s Special Disney Edition iPod, which comes preloaded with exclusive versions of Snow White, Fantasia and the Lion King.
4. Amateur podcasting is revealed to be a fad, as audience interest evaporates.
5. Hitachi, Fujitsu or Lenovo buys Sun Microsystems.
If I get one right, I’ll consider myself a seer.
By the way, Rough Type is going to go into suspended animation for a spell after today, as I have to deal with some old-fashioned, mainstream deadlines. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.